Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Here's to a New Beginning!

We are officially starting over!  I think 2012 is going to be our year!  I finished my classes at Indiana University and now I am finishing up 200 hours of an internship before graduation.  I will be graduating in May 2012!  I can't believe it is finally here!  Travis and I packed up our things, and we moved in with my father-in-law and grandfather-in-law.  They are fantastic.  We have lived here almost 2 weeks.  Mornings are spent talking to grandpa and enjoying a nice cup of coffee with some danishes.  In the evenings, we sometimes lounge in the living room with dad and watch TV shows.  Once in a while, we visit with friends and family.  I'm slowly figuring my way around Fort Wayne.  It's a little confusing, but I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Today was a great day.  I found out that I begin working next week at the Fort Wayne Children's Zoo as an intern in Public Relations and Social Media.  It was meant to be.  They were looking for someone to help with the social media and communications department - and that is what I do best!  Since the internship won't be every day, I'm looking for a part-time job to fill in some of the gaps.  Travis just received a phone call about a job he applied for on Friday.  They really liked his experience and quickness with math.  He has an interview this Friday, so fingers are crossed!  I am also getting a chance to really put my talents to work.  I am putting together multiple websites for different companies and organizations voluntarily.  Right now, I am finishing up a website for Merle Norman Luxe Spa & Salon in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  Then I will be working on an interactive website for an awareness/support group for Intestinal Malrotation.  I think the hardest part about web design is the color scheme.  That's what I'm playing around with right now for the awareness/support group's website.

We still have the apartment in Bloomington.  It is available if anyone is interested.  Right now, we need to pay next month's rent, and it will automatically be put on the market as vacant.  We have to pay the rent and electricity until someone decides to take the lease.  Then, our lease is no longer in existence.  Our apartment complex is a great area, and they currently have no vacancies.  People have been looking for a one-bedroom apartment, and after our luck with trying to find a sublessor - the complex decided to help us with the process so that they can advertise an available apartment for the demand they have been receiving.

We only have one medical bill left to pay.  Then we have about $1000 in credit cards to pay off.  We still only have one car, but it'll work just fine.  My internship is in walking distance, and family members have offered to drop me off or pick me up whenever I need a ride.  Once Travis is working, he'll more than likely use the car more than me.  And my internship isn't every day of the week, so I will be able to pick him up and drop him off whenever I have errands to run and he needs to work.  Right now, Travis and I have developed a goal list.

1.  Re-establish $1000 in our savings fund (we had to use the money to move)
2.  Pay off remaining medical bill.
3.  Pay off credit cards.
4.  Buy a second car.
5.  Save up for an apartment (or possibly a house).

Things are really starting to look up for us.  All I can say is: it's about time!  Travis and I made some New Year's resolutions, and the number 1 resolution is "Always stay positive."  So far, it's been working.  Positivity goes a long way! :)

I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays and are off to a great start to the new year!  Just for fun, what are your goals for this upcoming new year as you build your nest?

No comments:

Post a Comment