Monday, August 15, 2011

Putting in the Extra Effort.

Today has been a great day!  My husband's unemployment FINALLY arrived.  Turns out, they had put all the deposits on the wrong card.  Yeah....  their mistake took a while to fix.  So, today, we finally received the unemployment card and we paid off many of our bills.  It felt great to finally get caught up.

So, I had a hold at the financial aid office.  A hold means they wouldn't allow me to access my financial aid money.  I went into the financial aid office today, and I asked them what the dealio was.  Turns out, they just need a statement from my advisor saying I am graduating in May.  ::shrug::  I'll just give them what they want and schedule an appointment tomorrow with my advisor.  Kind of annoying, but oh well.  But, I do believe I qualify for work study.  I already know there is an available position at the Career Center on campus.  I've already spoken to someone about it.  I just have to wait for the hold at the financial aid office to go away before I can apply for the position.  I really want this work study at the Career Center, because I will have access to all the information about job fairs, resume building, career advising, etc.  That is so perfect for my senior year.  The work study would only allow 10 hours a week. But that is why I have my part-time job at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

My husband did something pretty cool today.  My parents came to visit - a surprise visit.  That was completely fine with me.  We never get to see our families much, so when they surprise us with a visit, we are overly excited about it.  We just tidied up the apartment after we got all our errands done for the day, and just in time for my parents' arrival.  My parents *always* want to see where I'm working.  I don't know why... they are just curious and excited, I guess.  Last week, they visited my sister (who is an occupational therapist) during her lunch break, and she showed them around a little bit.  I guess it's just something we grew up accustomed to....  So, when they came, they wanted to go eat at Five Guys and they wanted dessert from my husband's bakery.  It was fun!  We had a great time.  So, how does this apply to my husband doing something pretty cool?  While we were at Five Guys, we casually talked to my boss and my boss's boss (the GM and the owner).  My husband just got to talking with the guys, and they ended up hiring him on the spot!

So yes, my husband and I will be working a part-time job together at Five Guys Burgers and Fries.  I think it is hilariously awesome.  Everyone has asked me, "do you want to work with your husband?"  This is how I look at it:  it pays the bills.  Beggars can't be choosers.  Why does it matter if I'm working the same job as my husband?  Sure, we might drive each other crazy - but a job is a job - and if you are desperate for money, you take what you can get.  Needless to say, I'm very happy for my hubby.  He's taking this "building our nest" seriously.  So seriously, he's picking up another job.  And I'm super happy he got the job!  This is going to be a saving grace!

I just had to brag about how awesome my darling hubby is.  Putting in the extra effort is tough, but we're doing whatever we can to get where we want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment